The Thrift Shop in White Plains had been in continuous operation since November 11, 1918! It had been the oldest thrift shop in New York State, possibly in the country. The idea of a Thrift Exchange as it was called grew out of the national desire to reuse and recycle items in order to aid the war effort. The original Thrift Exchange was held in the Tod Market on the corner of Court Street and Martine Avenue. The building is still in existence. In 1923 the Thrift Shop moved to a barn behind the old Preudhomme residence on Church Street. It remained at that location for 50 years until finally moving to its final location in the White Plains Presbyterian Church on North Broadway. The Shop was a 501c3 entity, jointly owned by the Woman's Club of White Plains, the Scarsdale Woman's Club and the Hitchcock Presbyterian Church in Scarsdale with proceeds donated to local charities. During the COVID 19 pandemic, the Thrift Shop of White Plains was forced to close its doors and was disbanded in 2022. The Woman's Club of White Plains will continue the tradition of the Thrift Shop of White Plains and will be operating out of its clubhouse at 305 Ridgeway in White Plains.
A complementary group to the Thrift Shop is our Marking Committee. Each week, the numerous donations to the Thrift Shop are examined and priced for sale. Those that are not able to be sold are donated to other local organizations such as El Centro, Lifting Up Westchester and Shepherd's Flock. The Marking Committee meets every Tuesday from 9:30 - 11 am. All members are welcome to help out in the Marking Committee and/or at the Thrift Shop.